- This is the only BSW programme in Hong Kong offering three fieldwork placements in the 3rd and 4th year with a total of 1,024 hours which makes the practice more comprehensive than other institutions’ BSW programme, also more than 200 hours that the basic requirement from Social Workers Registration Board acquiring.
- To ensure the integration of knowledge and practice, students undertake an honour project in their 4th year to conduct a research study on a chosen social theme.
- The BSW programme covers a wide spectrum of professional knowledge and skills related to supporting children, families, youth, elderly and the disables. New emerging social issues like working with hidden youth, families changing roles and landscapes, children with special educational needs and new approaches in the rehabilitation and elderly service fields are also covered in the curriculum design.
Department of Social Work
The Department of Social Work was founded in 1971 and used to offer higher diploma programmes.
First launched in 2002, the Bachelor of Social Work programme has trained more than 450 students working in the field of social services, which include teenage, family and elderly services. The department provides three supervised fieldwork placements for students, a unique practice for local social work training. As pre-placement exposure, students are required to volunteer 100 hours of social work at social service organizations during their second year.
Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) Programme
- Year 1:
Principles of Sociology, Introduction to Philosophy of Social Welfare & Social Work, Self-understanding and Self-development etc
- Year 2:
Theories and Methods in Working with Individuals, Theories and Methods in Groups, Theories and Methods in Community Work, Social Work Research, Social Work Practice in China etc
- Year 3:
Working with at Risk and Hidden Youth, Working with New Arrivals and Ethnic Minorities, Ethics for Social Workers, Social Policy and Planning, Law and Social Worker, Fieldwork etc
- Year 4:
Social Work in Pre-school, Primary and Secondary School Settings, Medical Social Work, Rehabilitation Services – Working with People with Intellectual Disabilities, Honours Project, Programme Evaluation, Fieldwork etc
- Our graduates can apply for registration as Registered Social Worker (RSW) with the Social Workers Registration Board
- Our graduates can also apply for social work position in the Social Welfare Department of the HKSAR, Non-Governmental organisations and related social service organisations
- Registered Social Worker (RSW)
Entrance Scholarships and Financial Assistance
- ES 3^
*For detailed curriculum, please refer to the departmental website.
NMTSS = Non-means-tested Subsidy Scheme
SSSDP = Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
^Entrance Scholarship (ES)
- iFREE Entrance Scholarship
- Longbow Charity Foundation Entrance Scholarship
- Entrance Scholarship for Non-Chinese Speaking Students
Provide elective internship opportunities to students. IAO Director Dr. Raymond Chui will let you know more.
Our two alumni Giselle (Department of Journalism & Communication) and Stephanie (Deparment of Social Work) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Our two fresh graduate Clarence (Department of Counselling & Psychology) and Sunny (Deparment of Business Administration) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Our two alumni Charmian (Department of Accounting) and Carl (Deparment of Business Administration) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Department Photo Gallery
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /mnt/sdb1/apache2/htdocs2/infoday/wp-content/themes/openday/single-department.php on line 263