- One-semester internships in areas related to education, publishing, translation, editing
- Examine Chinese literature/culture from the perspectives of Western literary theory, psychology, sociology, and history be means of an interdisciplinary research approach
- Student Activities: Publish departmental newsletter ‘Ren Sheng’, organize various activities (e.g. singing contest, study trips) and academic lectures
Department of Chinese Language and Literature
The Department of Chinese Language and Literature was founded when Shue Yan College was first established.
For four decades, it has shared the University’s mission to promote traditional Chinese culture and moral values. Our undergraduate students will have opportunities to practise various types of writing, and they will have a high level of writing skills after graduation. They will also learn a wide scope of knowledge in Chinese Literature, Chinese Language and Chinese Literary Criticism.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Chinese Language and Literature Programme
- Ancient Chinese Texts and Philosophical thoughts:
“Lun Yu”, “Zuo Zhuan”, “Yi Jing”, Understanding Translation: Classical Chinese Texts in a Globalized World, Cultural Representations in Chinese and Anglophone Film
- Classical Chinese Literature and Literary Theories:
“Shi Jing”, “Chu Ci”, “Chinese Ci”, Literary Appreciation and Creative Writing, Criticism of Classical Novels and Drama, “Dream of the Red Mansions”, “Pian Wen”
- Chinese Linguistics and Bibliology:
“Modern Chinese”, “Classical Chinese” , Chinese Etymology, “Shuowen Jiezi”, Rhetoric, Bibliography, Elementary Putonghua, Chinese Industrial Attachment
- Modern Chinese Literature and Literary Theories:
Modern Chinese Literature, Modern and Contemporary Chinese Fiction, Modern and Contemporary Proses, Creative Writing, Modern and Contemporary Chinese Women’s Literature, Chinese Science Fiction
Our graduates can teach subjects like Chinese or Chinese Literature, they can also perform cultural, literary and artistic works. Some of them work as editors / reporters for newspapers, magazines or textbooks, or in cultural sector. They can also work in government or private organisations.
Entrance Scholarships and Financial Assistance
- ES 3^
*For detailed curriculum, please refer to the departmental website.
NMTSS = Non-means-tested Subsidy Scheme
SSSDP = Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
^ Types of HKSYU Entrance Scholarships
- iFREE Entrance Scholarship
- Longbow Charity Foundation Entrance Scholarship
- Entrance Scholarship for Non-Chinese Speaking Students
Department Photo Gallery
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /mnt/sdb1/apache2/htdocs2/infoday/wp-content/themes/openday/single-department.php on line 263