- Provides a broad knowledge base with professional skills practice in processing news and communication content including public relations and advertising
- We also provide training on digitalized multimedia news and information production to prepare students for their careers in the New Digital Age.
- Our teachers including Dr. Kaman Lee (Department Head), Dr. WS Lam and Mr. Edgar So (Associate Department Heads) are all experienced and professional experts in the media industry
- Students should join the Professional Internship(Compulsory) at their Year 3 summer time to receive full time on-the-job training in related field of Journalism, Public Relation or Advertising for 8-12 weeks
- The department operates platforms such as SY Media Lab (新傳網) and Our Voice (仁聞報) for students to practice what they have acquired in lessons.
- We provide state-of-art multimedia facilities to support our teaching and learning.
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
The Department of Journalism and Communication was founded in 1971 and has become one of the major educational institutions of Journalism, Public Relations and Advertising (PRA) in Hong Kong.
Students receive intensive training to achieve language proficiency, technological competency, as well as a thorough understanding of communication processes.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Journalism and Mass Communication Programme
- News Reporting, Writing and Translation in Chinese and English
- Thematic subjects: China Reporting, Business and Financial Reporting, International Relations and Global Politics
- Public Relations Disciplines: Event Management, Public Relations Writing, Advertising and Copywriting
- Digital News and Information Production: Computer Graphic Design and Publishing , Social Media and Networked Communication, Digitalisation and Interactive Multimedia
- Research related subjects: Communication Research Methods, Public Opinion Polls
Our graduates can join the media and entertainment industry as researcher, script writer, production assistant, or director. They can also work in public relation companies or big corporations as public relations officer; or in advertising agencies as copy-editor or account executive. Some of our graduates work in journalistic field as reporter/editor for both printed and electronic media, and as reporter-writer for the websites of new media. Our students can start their business after graduation.
Entrance Scholarships and Financial Assistance
- ES 3^
*For detailed curriculum, please refer to the departmental website.
NMTSS = Non-means-tested Subsidy Scheme
SSSDP = Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
^Types of HKSYU Entrance Scholarships
- iFREE Entrance Scholarship
- Longbow Charity Foundation Entrance Scholarship
- Entrance Scholarship for Non-Chinese Speaking Students
Provide elective internship opportunities to students. IAO Director Dr. Raymond Chui will let you know more.
Our two alumni Giselle (Department of Journalism & Communication) and Stephanie (Deparment of Social Work) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Our two fresh graduate Clarence (Department of Counselling & Psychology) and Sunny (Deparment of Business Administration) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Our two alumni Charmian (Department of Accounting) and Carl (Deparment of Business Administration) have shared their study life at SYU and working experience after graduation
Department Photo Gallery
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /mnt/sdb1/apache2/htdocs2/infoday/wp-content/themes/openday/single-department.php on line 263